Before your Big Surgery Day you’ll want to pick up a few things. You don’t *have* to have all these things, but they will make your life easier and more comfortable. If money’s tight, you don’t have to buy all of this—for example, you can pick up a few extra straws the next time you eat out, you can ask the doctor’s office for some extra gauze pads before you leave or at your follow up appointment. You can ask friends to bring by some magazines.
Honestly, sleep is going to be your best friend those first couple of days. Well, pain medication and sleep.
Top Surgery Post-Op Gear – Drake’s Crib Sheet for Recovery
- Bendable drinking straws
- Gauze pads
- Medical tape
- Wipes-organic, scent free, flushable
- Antibiotic ointment
- Hydrocortisone ointment (not cream)
- Handheld shower attachment
- Step stool for high bed
- Download movies
- Magazines, books
- Back scratcher
- Back sponge on a stick
- Laxatives such as Ducolax or Colace
- Prunes, yogurt, probiotics
- Benedryl to help with itching
- Scar treatment of your preference (you can’t use this until your wounds are healed though!)
- Travel pillow for sleeping on your back
- Pill box
- Notebook and folder for keeping all the paperwork and your notes in
- Plastic poncho for minimal showering
- Bed lap tray
- Ginger chews for nausea
Is there anything else you can’t live without? Let us know.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery and here’s to being unbound!